Online Now 574

Rees pleads guilty to two charges

Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees pleaded guilty to two of the four misdemeanor charges standing against him following his May 3 arrest at an off-campus party, according to the St. Joseph's prosecutor's office.

Irish junior Tommy Rees enters the St. Joseph Country Courthouse for an initial hearing in May.

The junior pleaded to charges of illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor and resisting law enforcement after he wrestled with police while trying to flee from a party on Notre Dame Avenue. The prosecutor's office dropped the charges for battery and resisting law enforcement that also came from the same incident. Rees was due in court for a status hearing Tuesday morning.

"I apologize to my family, friends, the Notre Dame community, Fighting Irish fans and the South Bend Police Department for my actions this spring. I made a poor decision and I accept full responsibility," Rees said in a statement Monday afternoon. "I learned a valuable lesson and witnessed first-hand that actions have consequences. This experience will make me a better person and I will focus on being a positive role model and citizen.

"To those who supported me during this difficult time, I offer my sincerest thanks. To the people I disappointed, I am dedicated to winning back your trust and confidence."

As part of the plea agreement, Rees will complete 50 hours of community service and write a letter of apology to the officers involved in the scuffle. He also received a 30-day suspended sentence and 11 months of probation.

Rees, along with four other unidentified males, jumped a fence in the back yard of a house when police responded to a noise complaint shortly after midnight on the final day of the spring semester. Police caught Rees with the assistance of a taxi cab driver and eventually had to use pepper spray to subdue him. The initial police report said Rees kneed the arresting officer in the lower abdomen during the struggle.

Senior linebacker Carlo Calabrese is also facing one misdemeanor intimidation charge stemming from the same incident. Calabrese threatened police officers on the scene twice, allegedly telling them, "my people will get you." He is due in court on Aug. 20. Rees is also scheduled to appear at a hearing that day to determine the amount of restitution to be paid.

A Notre Dame spokesman said Irish head coach Brian Kelly had no comment, but a statement from Rees is expected later today.

The university and the football program have yet to announce any repercussions the quarterback might face away from the legal system. Rees has started 16 of the last 17 games for Notre Dame under center. He is expected to compete for the starting job again during fall camp, which is scheduled to begin on Aug. 4.

Already have an account? Sign In