Olney (Md.) Our Lady of Good Counsel offensive guard/defensive tackle Sam Mustipher submitted his letter of intent to Notre Dame Wednesday.
The 6-4, 290-pound Mustipher is ranked as a three-star prospect by 247Sports. He is rated as the No. 22 offensive guard in the nation and the No. 11 player in Maryland.
• Listed with a 5.10 time in the 40-yard dash.
• Has bench pressed as much as 385 pounds, squatted 505 and power cleaned 290, per self-report.
• Credited with 57 pancake blocks as a senior, and had three sacks in a part-time role as a defensive tackle.
• Consensus Maryland All-State selection for Big Schools, Small Schools and Private Schools level.
All-Star Games And Camps
• One of 104 players nationally selected to the Under Armour All-American Game that was played Jan. 2 in St. Petersburg, Fla. He roomed with fellow offensive line recruit Alex Bars. The other Notre Dame players participating there were wide receiver Corey Holmes, tight end Tyler Luatua, defensive lineman Andrew Trumbetti and cornerback Nick Watkins.
• Committed to Notre Dame on April 15, 2013.
• Received 26 major college offers, including Alabama. Took a spring Midwest tour of Michigan, Ohio State and Northwestern before committing to Notre Dame.
• Primary recruiter at Notre Dame was tight ends coach/special teams coordinator Scott Booker, with offensive line coach Harry Hiestand also having a role.
• Official visit to South Bend was on Dec. 13, 2013, for the Football Awards Show.
• His father, Samuel Mustipher Jr., played nose guard at West Virginia in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
• Born Aug, 13, 1996.
• The first player from Good Counsel in head coach Bob Milloy’s 41 years as head coach to sign with Notre Dame.
• On a 4.0 scale he achieved a 4.6 grade-point average while taking weighted courses. At Notre Dame, his goal is to major in aerospace or civil engineering to prepare himself for a possible career at Northrop-Grumman, an American global aerospace and defense technology company and one of the largest defense contractors in the world.
• A basketball player his first two years at Good Counsel, including at the AAU level, Mustipher decided to put all his concentration on football and academics his last two seasons.
• Considered an ideal three-technique lineman on defense by Good Counsel defensive line coach Kevin McFadden, an All-American at Cincinnati who has helped send nearly 50 players to the major college level, including current Miami Dolphins linebacker Jelani Jenkins. His first shot might be at offensive guard, which will be led by current senior Christian Lombard and current sophomore Conor Hanratty, with freshmen Colin McGovern in the mix. Starting center Nick Martin, backup Matt Hegarty and freshman John Montelus all could factor in there as well as incoming recruit Jimmy Byrne. Thus, a redshirt season is likely.