In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1725
On this Board 768Record: 7576 (1/16/2013)
Online now 1657Record: 6507 (2/14/2012)
The place for Irish fans to engage in hardcore discussion about Notre Dame athletics
Talk with Irish fans from around the globe about college football's most storied program
The spot for anything on your mind outside of Notre Dame athletics
The place for Notre Dame fans to trade and exchange tickets
You have no favorite boards.
Awaiting Irish head coach Brian Kelly for his comments and thoughts following the first spring practice.
Check back on this thread for quick updates...
Sapp.Jason@synthes.com - https://twitter.com/Jason_Sapp
- Good practice today. Higher level of confidence from the upperclassmen on offense. A defense that has a lot of really good parts, but it's about finding the balance.
- Floated around practice today to get a good sense of how the veterans coming along.
- Steve Elmer wasn't at practice because of a stomach virus.
- Kona Schwenke had to do some make-up work after missing class on Monday.
- Stephon Tuitt had a sports hernia. Should get him back in the latter part of spring ball.
- Liked the way Lo Wood looked today. Great competition there at CB.
- The guy that stands out from all the injured guys is Amir Carlisle. He has another gear.
- Emphasis for special teams this spring is for the players to embrace their roles. Wants starters on special teams this spring.
Uses example of Alabama having 11 of its starters on the kickoff return unit.
- Looking for depth at cornerback and a rotation that works. Couldn't run dime last year due to the numbers game. Want to run nickel and dime more on the defense.
- Could see an offensive scheme that puts Amir Carlisle on the field with another running back and still gets him the ball because he can line up in the slot as well.
Kelly post-practice interview is complete...
Check back for a recap and video.
Irish head coach Brian Kelly met with the media following the first day of Notre Dame's spring practice and addressed his primary observations during the opening practice, provided an update on the two players missing from practice and noted which players coming off of injuries stood out early.
From the sound of it, Amir Carlisle would appear to be the most likely back who can take on Theo Riddick's dual role as a runner and receiver. Unknown yet is whether he can be as effective between the tackles as Riddick had become.
6-Time POTW Winner, 4 time at BGI and 2 at 24/7
Full recap by Wes Morgan:
Fighting Irish head coach Brian Kelly wraps up first spring practice of 2013.
First day of SPring practice is way more fun coming off of an 11-1 season than it has been in a LOOOOONG time!
You guys made my day!
LET'S GET IT ON!!!!!
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports